A Travellerspoint blog

Koh Samui

Drenched paradise!

rain 28 °C

The next day we took a seven hour bus and then an hour and half ferry to Koh Samui, spending the day travelling. It was raining throughout our journey and on our arrival at Koh Samui we were informed that many roads and resorts were flooded. We had planned to avoid the 'package tourist resorts' and head for the predominantly Thai areas of the island, however the floods stopped us from getting to our intended destination - Fisherman's Village. We jumped in a taxi with a couple we had met in the taxi queue, an Aussie guy and Irish girl and shared the journey to Mae Nam, which is nearby to Fisherman's Village. We checked in to the same villa resort that the couple in our taxi had booked, after they informed us that it was highly rate on Trip Advisor and cheap. Our room was an ornately decorated wooden hut, which had an outside bathroom (that was private thanks to a high fence, but open to the elements). We enjoyed Thai food from a nearby food stall and then treated ourselves to a dessert in the 'Swiss restaurant'. The Swiss restaurant was packed and the diners in there were all speaking German - it was very authentic! The owners are a Swiss guy and his German girlfriend. The reason the restaurant was so busy was that it was the last night before they closed for a 4 week holiday, their first break in 2 years. The next morning we took a walk down to the beach and encountered a pack of dogs on route. A local informed us that a couple of them tended to bite people and provided us with a stick and stones to 'scare them off'. Thankfully another local came out of her house and helped us to pass the dogs without the need for sticks and stones. The beach was completely flooded and the local lady informed us that the water had been as high as her house, the first time she had known this to happen. Rain continued to fall and every time we checked the weather forecast, it predicted worse and worse weather. The South of South East Asia was experiencing extremely heavy rainfall and when we looked at our planned route, the weather forecast remained bleak. So we made the difficult and disappointing decision to leave Koh Samui after only one day and reverse our planned route in the hope of finding better weather - and this meant flying to Chiang Mai (where we had planned to finish our travels).

Posted by NicChris 09:03 Archived in Thailand

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint